Saturday, July 18, 2009

High schools not ready for technololgy

My current high school has asked me to stop using the computer lab and only work in the traditional classroom. I am not going to stop using technology. Starting September 1st, my students and I will only be connecting from home. I may be able to get a few computer classes to get the students started but that's all. I guess I am lucky that I am very experienced so I can manage such a program, but some schools are just not ready to accept technology. Am I alone in believing that technology can facilitate and improve the quality of instruction and learning in the K-12 setting?

2 comments:

  1. Hello Nellie. No, you are certainly not alone in thinking that technology can facilitate and improve the quality of instruction and learning. I for one would be interested in knowing the rationale behind their decision, but it seems that the "knowing-doing" gap is at play here. Most literature supports the use of technology in one form or another, so simply rejecting technology across the board seems extreme. In Mexico, I have never heard of a school rejecting technology in this way, but if it were to happen, there are enough cybercafés and internet access in homes to provide a viable contingency plan. I think as teachers, we have a responsibility to continue to challenge the "powers that be" on how to improve teaching and learning based on sound research. In your particular case, I feel for you, but I also know your learners will always be in good hands!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Benjamin, I created private groups for each of my classes on facebook. They are moderated by student representatives. In addition, in November, the school principal succumbed and asked if I would be interested in a collaborative project with a school in Germany. I agreed. So, my students are ready but the project is not moving as fast as I would like it.

    ReplyDelete